© Fishnet Technique - image©istock/Lpcornish
Mermaid Makeup Tips and Tricks
July 23, 2021
You may have the training and the tail, but no mermaid transformation is complete without the proper makeup
. A fun, sea-inspired look is an essential part of the mermaid transformation. Mermaid makeup can easily range from simple to extravagant depending on the look you want. Here are some mermaid makeup tips and tricks to aid you in your mermaid journey!
Tips & tricks - How to do mermaid makeup.
1. Use waterproof makeup.
This one may be obvious but if you plan on doing more than just a top-side mermaid photo shoot, plan on using only waterproof makeup.
You can find any of the makeup items we discuss below in a waterproof version. By using waterproof makeup, your mermaid look will stay in place while playing in the water and modeling underwater.
2. The fishnet technique.
The fishnet technique is a fast and easy trick to get you the scaly and aquatic look you might want
! All you need for this look is:
- Fishnet stocking or any fishnet wear.
- Colored eye shadow of your choice.
All of these items can be purchased at stores near you. Once you have the materials, follow these three easy steps on how to apply. You will end up with a fun, scaly look that will transform you into the mermaid you wish to be.
How to do the fishnet technique:
- Step 1: Put the wide part of the fishnet over your face.
- Step 2: Choose any eyeshadow color you wish and apply to any facial area of your choice using the brush. We recommend shiny blue and purples.
READ MORE: MERMAIDING - WHICH FINS ARE SUITABLE?
- Step 3: Remove stockings and add on any additional glitter if you choose.
3. Glitter eyeshadow for mermaid makeup.
Glitter eyeshadow is a great way to add to your mermaid look. Glitter gives any look the colorful and whimsical touch
a mermaid cannot go without! Here is what you will need:
- Eyeshadow of your choice.
- Fine glitter of your choice.
- Small make-up brush to apply.
These can be purchased at any make-up or drug store near you or found on Amazon. Once you have your materials, here are a few simple steps on how to apply.
How to apply glitter eyeshadow:
- Step 1:Choose the eyeshadow color of your choice.
- Step 2: Add with the brush to the lid and hood of your eye and then (optional) underneath to your lower lash line.
Note: Please use only biodegradable glitter in every kind of water (ocean, lake, pool...).
"Normal" glitter consists of microplastic and causes great damage to nature, humans and animals!
READ MORE: THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO BECOMING A PROFESSIONAL MERMAID.
- Step 3:Choose the glitter color of your choice and add with the brush to the inner corner of your eye, then blend into the inner lid.
4. Do not be afraid of bold colors.
Mermaid makeup is all about making your eyes ‘pop’ and creating a stunning, whimsical look. Using bright, bold shades of eyeshadow like deep blues, greens, and bright purples will give your eyes depth and boldness
Try a combination of colors opposite each other on the color wheel, like green and purple, to create a striking look.
5. Use white eyeliner.
Although harder to find, white eyeliner will give you a unique, bold outline to your brightly colored eyes
. We recommend using liquid eyeliner over the pencil variety as it is easier to apply and leaves a thicker, more continuous line.
Do not be afraid to try different shapes around the eye to make a bold mermaid statement. Using white eyeliner to draw a cat-eye shape is a particular mermaid favorite!
Live out your mermaid dreams.
Living out your mermaid dreams is all about creating your own mermaid style and having fun! Let your imagination run wild and play with different looks and colors to find your perfect mermaid look.
By following our mermaid make-up tips and tricks, you will be on your way to creating the perfect mermaid look to live out your mermaid fantasies.
DO YOU WANT TO SWIM LIKE A MERMAID? CHECK OUT SSI’S MERMAID PROGRAMS.
Note: Nature is our friend, so please ensure your make-up is free of microplastic and choose natural cosmetics.